Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day One: March 9, 2011 The start of it all!

I am beginning this journey today because during church on Sunday, while my Pastor was preaching about Lent, my first thought went to giving up ice cream again.  For those who don't personally know me, this would be a struggle!  I love ice cream, I thought this would be a fair thing to give up!  Until while sitting there, something told me Facebook!  I am pretty confident in knowing that it was God who put that on my heart.  This would not be my first choice in something to give up.  Which is why I decided to do it!  I knew that my opposition, was the very reason that I should in fact give it up!  Why then would I chose a blog?!  I know it's not much different.  But while I will be reading all of the comments, I will probably not be replying to most.  I will answer questions from time to time.  I needed this blog for me.  Not to replace Facebook, as I will only be posting once a day!  Well, twice today, so that I can blog about my experience at the end of the day as well.  I will still be spending the time that I would typically be on Facebook in the Word, or in prayer. 


Let me give you a little background on me, I am a Christian, I do not have a Catholic background.  In fact the only time I have even been in a Catholic church was for my Brother-in-law's wedding.  That being said, I do love the idea of Lent.  I have done it many years!  Though, admittedly, there have been a few years that I dropped the ball.  I think that it is a great way to honor Christ and what he sacrificed for me!  He went without food and water for 40 days, I think I can manage giving up Facebook!!  Furthermore, when better to spend more time growing in a relationship with Him, than in the weeks leading up to His resurrection?!  I am not a religious person, it drives me rather nuts when people ask me if I am religious!  Being a Christian, is not about religion, it's about a personal relationship with the One who gave it all, so that I could LIVE!  Pretty cool right!?  


So, day one, (toward the beginning of the day) I am very excited to see where this experience takes me!  I know that by the end of these 40 days I will be changed!  I appreciate any and all prayers that I may receive during this time, they are very coveted!


Until next time,
LyndsayB 


These are the suggestions from my Pastor of things to do during Lent:
1. Read your Bible every day.
      *Gospels of Mark and Luke=40 total chapters.
2. Consider depriving yourself of something you enjoy.
3. Perform acts of kindness.
4. Consider watching "The Passion of the Christ."  Though, I recommend that if you have a Passion Play in your area that you attend that instead.  Something about seeing it live and in person is more real to me!
5. Tell someone about Jesus.
6. Make a commitment to attend Good Friday and Easter services.
7. Read daily and memorize Hebrews 12:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment